Friday, May 27, 2011

There is time to spare AND it is precious.

This morning I woke up on the West Coast and began working with my staff on the East Coast on several matters that required my matters that required my attention.  I wrapped that up and shifted my attention to the purpose of my trip, helping my parents to take on the task of winding down my father’s business.

As I began to wipe down the pictures from his office wall, packing each one with care, the somberness of the unplanned beginning of his retirement hung heavy in the room.  Daddy, as he does with every situation, displayed a jovial spirit as he waded through papers on his desk, and watched me begin the daunting task of packing up his office.  There is so much that does not escape me, fleeting glances of melancholy, moments of pride as he notes the purpose of each award or certificate, a memory that we share together, it is all a part of the process that his stroke precipitated.  We bond over this experience as we have in his office so many times before.  There have been family history lessons, business lessons, lessons about how to be an entrepreneur or a good boss, lessons about how to laugh at myself, and lessons about how to deal with perceived failures.  Now, we are sharing the lesson of how to gracefully accept the newest challenge of life with dignity and grace.

His staff is falling over themselves to be helpful.  They are loyal to a fault.  I am grateful for the familiarity of the man who has worked with my father for more than 30 years.  It is comforting that he is here.  There is also another man who has worked for my father for almost 15 years.  Both of them hover in the background, watching, anxiously awaiting the opportunity to help.  They are among the last of specific breed.  People no longer work in one job for such long periods of time.

Now, all that I have learned from my father about being an entrepreneur floods my thoughts.
1. You should always know how to perform every job in your business.
2. Be the best boss that they could have (in other words, be the best boss that you could have)
3. Know how everything works
4. Be a good example for your staff.  If you care, they will care.
5. Know your clients/customers and anticipate their needs.
6. Always remain ahead of the game.

These lessons have served me well.  One day I will have to discuss the ones that I learned to not follow.

Life is so interesting.  It sometimes blows my mind that we are here....

I finish with my dad, meet my girlfriend for coffee and then went back to my parent’s home to prepare some more documents to email to the East Coast for tomorrow.  I stop to skype with the girls and my hubby. Now, I am blogging, saying good night to FB and going to bed so that I can start the process all over again tomorrow.

Today I walked 4.5 miles....there is time to spare.

No comments:

Post a Comment